Thursday, April 9, 2009

Is Chocolate Recession Proof?

In the US companies think that chocolate is recession proof, and I believe this is true, but in emerging countries chocolate processing is down. Germany grinds cocoa beans for East Europe and Russia, they are estimated to have a decrease of 20% this year. The difference in this is that chocolate is engrained into our culture, but in Russia they do not spend any of their money on something as frivilous as chocolate when they are fighting to feed their families. We see chocolate as a low cost treat in these tough economic times. This article demonstrates how business strategies must be differentiated in different cultures and how some may have to adapt during recession times and others will have to adapt less.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/feedarticle/8441780

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting. I would have thought it would be the same the world over.

    I am not a chocolate love but my mom is and I have not changed my purchasing behavior of her favo rites -- I often surprise her with the good stuff. I am lucky that she likes Rolo and Hershey Kisses - and I do stock up when they are on sale -- but I will buy them at the regular price because for her it is definitely not frivolous.

    ReplyDelete